MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
The Commercial Office is responsible for the strategic leadership and management of commercial activities on campus comprising residences, restaurants, retail, conferencing, English language programmes and other activities including formulation of policy, advising on development of facilities, marketing and promotion, revenue generation, financial management and management of day-to-day operations.
The purpose of this role is to lead, manage and deliver a number of key projects outlined in the Commercial Strategy. These projects include but are not limited to: creation of University shop/visitor centre, development of corporate and other sponsorships of University events and IT infrastructure, consolidation of campus tourist proposition and management of associated income streams. The successful candidate will also be responsible for co-ordinating outsourced catering, retail and other commercial contracts. The successful candidate will manage various conferences / corporate events to maximise returns in a customer-orientated environment while supporting the Commercial Strategy and aligning with the overall University Strategy.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A key responsibility of this position is that post holder will;
- Manage the selection of high quality University memorabilia including apparel, giftware, stationery, seasonal items etc.
- Manage the shop/visitor centre design and fit-out including selection of interiors, branding, point of sale props etc.
- Develop budgets including sales forecasts and associated costs for the shop and online sales
- Establish and manage a website for sale of University memorabilia
- Manage the shop/visitor centre
Sales and Marketing
- Promote the shop/visitor centre and other university visitor experiences such as museums/galleries, theatres to the campus and wider national and international communities
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with existing and potential new clients
- Generate and manage customer databases
- In conjunction with the company Accountant, develop budgets including sales/ overhead forecasts for the shop and online sales
- Work to tight budgets whilst attaining best value for money at all times
- Responsible for some book-keeping and record requirements including invoicing, credit control, as required.
- Co-ordinate some tender processes including: identifying/profiling service requirements, assessment of tender responses with input from key stakeholders
- Negotiation, implementation and management of contracts
- Manage the operation of the shop/visitor centre
- Work with colleagues and also lead the management of various conferences / corporate events to maximise returns with a customer-orientated focus
- Work with outsourced catering and retail operators on campus as required
- Update financial and operations reports as required
- Liaise as required with service providers and clients
- Contribute to the maintenance and development of quality management processes and customer care programmes
- Monitor and develop mechanisms for responding to queries, comments, and postings about shop/visitor centre
- Provide administrative support to the Commercial Manager and the Business Development & Operations Manager
- Represent the companies within and outside the University as appropriate
- Any other duties specified by the Commercial Manager
- This job description may evolve and develop with particular focus on new commercial strategies
- Management of events and support marketing/sales initiatives
For a full job spec including additional information, please >> click here.