Social Secretary/ Events Officer
The British Embassy has a vacancy for a full-time Social Secretary/ Events Officer at the British Ambassador’s Residence, Glencairn. Glencairn is an historic and elegant venue, which has been the home to British Ambassadors for many years. It supports the work of the British Embassy as a venue for events attended by influential stakeholders from across UK and Irish public life, including politicians, business people, cultural leaders and many others, as well as high profile visiting delegations from the UK.
By delivering high quality events and an excellent standard of service at the British Ambassador’s Residence, the jobholder will thus play a crucial role in the delivery of the British Embassy’s objectives in promoting and strengthening British-Irish relations. The position will involve working closely with the Ambassador and his spouse, and Embassy colleagues, and will be a highly rewarding position with a requirement for creativity, innovative original ideas, excellent organisational skills, flexibility and flair.
This role will be based at the Ambassador’s Residence in Sandyford.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Helping to devise, design, plan and deliver innovative, imaginative, elegant and impactful Residence events (including major events, cultural events, dinners and receptions, and smaller-scale breakfast, lunch, and tea events, seminars, workshops and away days) hosted by the Ambassador, working with the Ambassador and his Spouse, Residence Manager, Chef, and supported by Embassy colleagues.
- Devising and delivering on guest lists to ensure diverse, impactful and interesting guests attend Residence/Embassy events, in support of Embassy objectives, working closely with others, as above, helping to develop the Embassy’s network of contacts.
- Issuing invitations to functions hosted by the Ambassador and/or his Spouse, following up as necessary, and preparing table plans, flower arrangements, place cards and menus.
- Being responsible for the budget for Residence events, compiling, forecasting, projecting, monitoring spending, and keeping accurate accounts, consistently ensuring value for money for all events whilst maintaining a high standard, working with the Head of Corporate Services and Deputy Head of Mission.
- Maintaining and developing effective systems for all events at the Residence, including a comprehensive contacts database, and records of events organised, guest lists, attendee numbers, table plans, menus and entertainment tailored to the requirements of particular functions, producing statistics as required; maintaining up-to-date guidance on the use of the Residence for Embassy colleagues and external parties; maintaining and ensuring information about the Residence, including its history, is current and relevant, for respective audiences.
- Working with the Residence Manager and Chef on the purchase of supplies for events according to FCDO procurement guidance, ensuring value for money; working with the whole Residence team to ensure all events comply with FCDO Health & Safety guidance and Covid-19 procedures.
- Providing and seeking advice on Protocol issues and social procedures (including relating to guest lists).
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Strong organizational, planning, time management, project management and problem-solving skills.
- Experience of events planning and management (eg in a diplomatic Residence, Embassy, international standard hotel or similar venue), delivering excellent customer service experience.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills for engagement with senior stakeholders and strong team player
- Ability to plan, manage and deliver successful events, multi-tasking and working calmly under pressure, with a focus on attention to detail
- Ability to come up with creative, innovative, original ideas and see opportunities
- Experience in managing financial budgets and resources effectively and liaison with external commercial partners
- willingness to work flexibly, including in the evenings, and (rarely) at weekends. The Embassy operates a comprehensive flexible working policy and offers Time off in Lieu of additional hours worked to ensure a fair work/life balance
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Intermediate level of Microsoft Office (mainly Excel and Word) and familiarity with IT packages for webinars.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- A qualification in the hospitality, events and/or project management field
- Health & Safety qualifications
- Experience in procurement/contract negotiation
- Knowledge of contemporary Irish society and current affairs
- Making Effective Decisions, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Working Together
2 July 2022
For further information or to apply for this position, please visit >> Jobs.ie link